Sunday, December 18, 2005

Christmas expectations

Ok... it's officially 6 days until Christmas. At least that what it looks like when I look at the boy's advent tree... unless one of them got excited and messed up the days, which is entirely likely. But, regardless of the actual number, it makes me think about the upcoming celebrations that will occur in our home. The first happy family time will be Christmas Eve. I LOVE this day. It's relaxed (finally), we just eat some good food, play a game or two, and go to church. After the kids go to bed, I get the Santa presents out - and totally crash. I fall asleep happy and content knowing that the people I love the most (minus Donna and John) were here to anticipate the Santa visit with my boys.

Christmas Day Morning - Now everyone is here!!! I am so glad that Donna and John make the effort to be here when the boys wake up. I know how much they both value their sleep.. so it reall means a lot to me that they wake up REALLY early so that they can be here when the boys wake up and see all the wonderfullness of Christmas waiting for them under the tree. John and Carla give up their time to to spend the night so they can experience the whole yuletide morning with the clan. How lucky am I?

Later Christmas Day Morning - Mom comes with Gram and maybe with Doc. Now everyone is here. We share gifts, laugh, watch the boys reactions to their booty, and sooner or later... decide "Well, I guess it's time to get the turkey in the oven."

Late morning to mid-day - The boys play with their future "Get these off the floor!" toys, Carla and/or John plays with them, John and Donna help around the kitchen, Mom looks busy around the kitchen, and I try to keep Gram out of the kitchen (but still let her feel usefull), and the cooking commences. The smells are the smells of my childhood. I've tried many times in the past, but I cannot change some things. The stuffing will be made the same way my mom and gram have made it. I will make turnips. Sweet potatoes, sauteed mushrooms... the way it has always been. Oh... I almost forgot. Donna will help me make sure that NO salmonella gets anywhere anytime. We move everything off the counter, stuff the turkey, and STERILIZE the whole turkey prep area when we are done. My dad would be proud.

Guest time - People we love arrive at various times, snack on chili dip and olives, and wait for the announcement, "Time to sit down!!" Then we all stuff our faces until there is no room left in our gullets. The table is cleared in a group effort, and then after some of the food has shifted we find a little room for pie or cookies. What a glutton fest!!

Christmas Evening - We all sit around, in a semi-coma, waiting for someone to start the gift giving process. We laugh and tell stories, maybe play a little cards, the kids play with their new gifts, and we are all just content.

The dishes will wait... the wrapping paper will wait... the people are here. The people I love. The time I love. I will sit and enjoy my full belly and my full life.

3 Comments:

At 4:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum. What happens to the left overs?

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Iwanski said...

I love Christmas, dammit.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this blog dead?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home